HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Has Your Mindset About Hunting Changed Any?
Old 10-03-2021, 02:44 PM
Oldtimr
Boone & Crockett

My father was a hunter, he did not do big game hunting in Africa or any other foreign country he was a hard working man of modest means. He went to a one room school house and during the hunting season he and his brothers hunted their wat to school and stashed what they shot and when when school dismissed they hunter their way home and they helped feed a family of 12. I ran a trap line with him when I was 9 years old, he taught me how to trap fur and about here to look for rabbits and pheasants which was what we hunted for other than squirrels and deer. The area we lived in did not have good deer hunting but he took his 3 sons all the same. If it had not been for what my dad taught me I would not have grown up to be a Game Warden after I got out of the Navy and got married. The only thing I regret is that my dad died before I could afford to take him to places to hunt that he only dreamed of but kept silent about it. I am happy that I has the opportunity to take him on a 4 day sailing trip on the Chesapeake Bay which for a man who could not swim enjoyed immensely. He was a hard working man who after he came home from the South Pacific when WWII ended put all his resources and energy into taking care of his family! No my mind set has not changed about hunting, for me it is not only recreation but a way to put good wholesome food on the table while having fun.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 10-03-2021 at 02:50 PM.