HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Muzzleloader has me stumped
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2021, 01:29 AM
Ridge Runner
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mrbb
bore butter might make things easier or worse
as if shooting dirty power/primers, bore butter just collects more residue, which can make following reloading harder and harder!
or that's been my experience with using in
I gave up using it, for just using cleaner burning powder(blackhorn 209 gets my vote here, if not for burning cleaner, for NOT having that big cloud of smoke to see animals run off at times, or the non corrosion side of it alone makes it worth using IMO)
I also found that in lines rare like any other rifle, they all LIKE different powders/bullets and sabots, there is NO one combo that works best in any inline
so playing about will always find you the best combo, or load your looking for, accuracy or the fastest, flattest, easiest to load and so on!
we all have different goals when we use things

but with so many options out there, that can make life easier, its worth experimenting to find what the gun likes!
also gets you some extra shooting time which is normally a good thing to help you get better at things too!
Have used it in every muzzleloader I ever owned, and always, everytime a lubed sabot, patched ball, or conical loaded easier than a dry one. the secret is to season the bore properly! also if the thing appears to be not burning powder consistantly at a 100 gr charge, are the pellets loaded right, they have a front and back ya know!

Last edited by Ridge Runner; 09-26-2021 at 01:32 AM.