HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I messed up
Thread: I messed up
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2021, 06:48 AM
bronko22000
Boone & Crockett

Default I messed up

I had my Bergara B-14 HMR out the other day to dust out the bore. Shooting steel out to 300 yards was a piece of cake. I'm still trying to find a place to shoot out to 600 or 800 yards with it.
However when I got it home I removed the bolt and put the bore guide in the action. put my 6.5mm jag on the cleaning rod and a solvent patch. I pushed the jag into the bore and it got a bit tight so I tapped the handle of the Dewey rod so the patch would engage the rifling. WRONG. The patch, jag and rod got stuck! I could not get it out nohow. I even put vise grips on the rod and tried tapping it out and it was stuck.
After about an hour of trying I took it over to my local gunsmith. He called me last night to say he got it out my using different lengths of bore size brass rods and a press then polished the bore. Going to pick it up this afternoon. I just hope I didn't cause any damage to the bore. He said it looks fine.
My thought is how did that patch/rod get stuck so quickly. The only thing I can figure is the patch rolled over on itself and formed a wedge.