HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Local Mast and Berry Crops
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2021, 01:25 PM
blksn8k
Fork Horn

Update: Last evening just before dark I was standing in my driveway and could hear a squirrel cutting acorns. I was a little surprised to find that they were from a red oak. There is a big wild cherry within ten feet of that oak and it is loaded with cherries. I was also walking along one of my property lines on the edge of a neighbor's field a few days ago and saw several black walnut trees with nuts. There is at least one big beech along my lane that is loaded with nuts as well.

Another neighbor just mowed his fields a few days ago and I saw a hen turkey in one of those fields with over a dozen poults. I have also seen that same brood on a couple of my trail cameras.

I have a camera along the powerline coming to my house and got this video of a decent ten point five nights ago.

I currently have a logging crew on the property cutting the larger hemlocks. They are infested with HWD (Hemlock Woolly Adelgid) and most of them will die anyway so I decided to get something out of them now before they are worthless. Although I hate to see those trees go because they do provide excellent cover for the wildlife this will open up the understory and allow the hardwoods to thrive.

I was talking to one of the loggers yesterday and he told me while he was running the skidder through the woods he saw a group of seven nice bucks feeding on the leaves of a small freshly fallen maple that was knocked over by one of the falling hemlocks.