HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rimfire Fun: Long Range 22LR
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2021, 01:37 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Shooting 22’s is a pastime about as American as Apple Pie and Baseball! I’m glad you posted, so I’m not just looking like the weird one lobbing 22’s out to 300.

I’ll concede that some of the optics we’re using above are pretty expensive, but really, most of the rifles and pistols pictured above aren’t fine firearms - all but one are are under $300. My Son’s purple Savage Mark II FSS (cheapest stainless Mark II they make) and both of the 22 Chargers were under $300. The Savage Mark II BSEV was $550 when we bought it, but it’s really not an accurized model, just a heavier barrel, and originally came in a Boyd’s Evolution stock (barracuda style). My son’s purple rifle has a Bushnell Trophy 3-9x on top, which I believe ran $129 retail, which I purchased at a discount for $50, and the Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x originally on my stainless Charger was a $300 optic; a Midway exclusive model with the SFP Mil-dot optic and 1/8moa per click turrets.

Winchester does still make the Wildcat ammo, or at least did a couple of years ago when I would have bought our current inventory of it. My son and I shot about 500 of them this spring - he MIGHT be shooting Wildcats in the photo in which he’s standing behind my Charger. We were either shooting Win Wildcats or Armscor that particular day - although that pistol does tend to shoot smaller with Eley Club and CCI SV. We shoot lots and lots of Remington Thunderbolt and Golden Bullet ammo as well, simply because I’ve bought very large lots of it multiple times over the years (10-20k at a time). Cheap ammo can occasionally surprise you, but even still, it often shoots well enough that it can be caught by a 3-4moa target out at 300+.