HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New leasing trend for whitetail
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2021, 04:56 PM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

I have not seen any leasing in my area or about hunting camp, or friends , camps for that matter
Most of these camps rely on state lands that are adjacent to what they own that border up to state land .
Typically leasing happens when there is not much public lands near by, or quality of public lands sin;t so hot !
then many folks have the mind set that private lands, means BETTER hunting, when many times its not any better! and can even be worse!

That said, to be honest here, from MY personal; experience hunting a lot of different states for a few decades now
leasing/renting land out for weeks/weekends or l;lkes, over just a ALL yr lease or renting, isn;t anything new to me at all
its what I have done mostly on all my out of state hunts
almost all my hunts, have taken place out of state on lands I rented/or call it a lease, for the amount of days I wanted to be there, typically 10-12 days at a time for me, and I almost always ONLY rented/leased lands that had a house that was on site I could stay in!
I always tried to do it this way, to help LOWER the odds of having unknown people show up where I was hunting and making it harder for me to predict how I would hunt a place!
as I have to admit that is a pet peeve of mine, when you get all set up[ and some JERK(sorry for term) but someone will show up,m see you and STILL set up next to you
Hunters like that just p highly annoy me and ruin my hunting enjoyment
so when ever driving far and having more costs to a hunt, I always try and get lands to myself so not to have my hunts molested by random hunters showing up
I can tell you even with renting/leasing, its has still happened sadly
as trespassing is something I find MANY hunters don't seem to think is WRONG and do so very freely when they FEEL they have the right to do so, due to living near by or having ONCE had permission or???
so renting leasing lands is NOT perfect but does tend to have less walk in's than public lands in SOME PLACES!

some places out west I will also admit, I ONLY hunted public lands, due to size of them and knowing I was willing to go farther in or back than most, so that lowered them walk in/on you hunts incidents!

BUT renting/leasing land by season, or week or weekend isn;t really anything new !

a LOT of times it also comes down to the land owners wishes on HOW they want to use there lands, as I also known a lot of land owners that wouldn;t do year long leases, due to they wan ted opening days or week, for them and there family, so, they would rather rent just a week here or there or the likes!

a little FYI folks, when renting/leasing lands,
keep in mind, HOW many hunters a land owner lets on there land is a a BIG thing to consider, that many don't asks or know
as its real easy to have a property over hunted even in prime locations, making hunting MUCH harder due to all the pressure in the area, can make deer go nocturnal, all the more so the older smarter one's!