HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - use a 223 ar 15, on hogs?
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2021, 09:50 AM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
I think that the “I don’t want to limit my shots” perspective is relatively common, but honestly, I think it’s largely based on the “hogs are pests, not game” mentality, just like folks being willing to shoot at coyotes farther than they would a deer. Coyotes are smaller targets, but guys don’t worry about wounding coyotes as much as they do deer. I don’t tend to shoot “at a hog,” I shoot “at the spot behind the hogs ear.” If your margin for error is more generous, then sure, more cartridge might do more damage to help make up for less judicious shot placement... a little...

I can’t think of the last time - as in over a decade and 25-40 deer ago - since I last took anything but a broadside heart shot on a whitetail. Just about the same standard for impact forgiveness as I hold for hogs shot behind the ear - impact groups as big as my fist will mean quick death.

We didn’t go after pigs this spring, but last spring, I did take my 6.8 SPC, and since we were driving and ambushing in the swamp, I would have taken running shots, which isn’t uncommon for us - so shooting had to be closer than when we stalk or shoot pigs under feeders, but instead of shooting at a fist sized POA behind the shoulder, we shoot at a fist sized POA behind the head/ear.
You are right about a different mentality here, there is no law against selling the meat, and wholesale it is around $2 a pound on the hoof, retail double or triple that, and in demand. If you see a sounder you pick your shot 18 month to two-year-old sow. Most of the Hogs feed in agricultural areas and eat better than most humans, the meat is good. The only reason the traditional meat harvest has gotten out of control is the influence of the balance of nature dreamers and animal rights fanatics. They are now a pest here also, the farmers and agricultural department want a 70% reduction. They are still hunted as a harvest and not wholesale slaughter, but that may change.
I can see the logic of a semi-auto rifle for numerous reasons. But a larger caliber IMO is both more efficient and reasonable. Hogs whether a pest or not are still game animals and worth something more than fertilizer.