HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need advice on new optic for ground hunting
Old 07-26-2021, 03:29 PM
Timber Hunter
Spike

Default Need advice on new optic for ground hunting

I am looking for a scope that will allow me extended eye relief for my Ruger American in .308. I am currently using a 3 - 9 Bushnell Trophy scope but am looking for an upgrade and also something with magnification as low as 1x or 2x. I pretty much only hunt thick timber which means I do not take shots over 100 yards at most but am usually closer to 50 yards. Due to how dense the trees are and that I am often sitting on the ground and shooting off my knee I sometimes have to be in somewhat awkward positions to pull off a shot which means I might not be able to get perfectly on the optic in order to get the best sight picture which obscures my view.

I wanted to get a scout scope so that I could get some wiggle room when it comes to eye relief so even if I am not in a perfect shooting position I will still be able to see clearly. Is it possible to mount a scout scope where you would put a traditional scope or does the long eye relief create issues if it is mounted too far back?

If the scout scope is not an option for a Ruger American is there anything else anyone would recommend?

Thanks for any help you all can give me.