HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - use a 223 ar 15, on hogs?
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2021, 07:59 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

I think that the “I don’t want to limit my shots” perspective is relatively common, but honestly, I think it’s largely based on the “hogs are pests, not game” mentality, just like folks being willing to shoot at coyotes farther than they would a deer. Coyotes are smaller targets, but guys don’t worry about wounding coyotes as much as they do deer. I don’t tend to shoot “at a hog,” I shoot “at the spot behind the hogs ear.” If your margin for error is more generous, then sure, more cartridge might do more damage to help make up for less judicious shot placement... a little...

I can’t think of the last time - as in over a decade and 25-40 deer ago - since I last took anything but a broadside heart shot on a whitetail. Just about the same standard for impact forgiveness as I hold for hogs shot behind the ear - impact groups as big as my fist will mean quick death.

We didn’t go after pigs this spring, but last spring, I did take my 6.8 SPC, and since we were driving and ambushing in the swamp, I would have taken running shots, which isn’t uncommon for us - so shooting had to be closer than when we stalk or shoot pigs under feeders, but instead of shooting at a fist sized POA behind the shoulder, we shoot at a fist sized POA behind the head/ear.