HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - A good pair of insulated boots
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2021, 05:18 AM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

My first question for you would be, how far will you be walking in them and on what type of terrain?
as some good boots for walking don't always make the best for long all day sits and vice versa!
I will also some what agree with the above on cabela's iron ridge boots, however, I have different view on there latest one's

from about 2000 to when bass pro took over
I used to buy 2-3 pair of these boots every 3 yrs or so,a s after that the soles would always peel off, but up until that point they were very good boots for the money, and for me still worth the price of them
BUT once Bass Pro took over , the boots started to get made slightly differently, there sizes didn;t stay the same, and the build on them also changed
the new sizes didn;t fit MY feet like they used to and I would get blisters on exact same sized boots, and I also had issue's with the boot quick grips pulling off the boots in under about a yr of use!
So, I honestly quit buying them, and a shame,a s they were a great boot for the price IMO, but quality on them isn;t the same for long term use from my experience on the 2 pair I tried!
I also have had several foot surgeries over the yrs as well as broke a lot toes and ankles, so I have blood flow issue's, , but I am still more cold hearty than most, so my friends tell me!
for me, I am guy that has tried about every brand of boots thee are, and have a small fortune in boots on hand, I typically Only wear boots for one purpose and then another type pair for something else, my hunting boots never get worn for anything but hunting

I have seen countless company's over the yrs go from making great boots to pinching corners/changing owners, and quality drops(Danner was one of these, and now they seem to have both quality one's and lesser one's
so JUST using a NAME anymore, doesn't work)

best advice I have is, buy quality and try things on before you buy, or buy from places that have free returns!

a REALLY good boot , and a proper fitting boot, needs very little if any break in!

the brand I have the best luck with now, is Merrel, another very good company with long standing products is Schnee's
but I do admit there NOT cheap to buy!

but for all day Long sits in very cold temps
I still find myself NOT wearing boots at all
I take them off, and use boot blankets with heat packs, have sat in minus 40 temps for 10 hour days for weeks at a time doing this!

but again the type of use you need for a boot makes a big difference in what I would recommend, like all things in life, there is IMO< no one boot that is great every where, what is great for hiking isn;'t good for long sits in cold