HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - The Baddest 7MM on the planet
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2021, 06:08 AM
hubby11
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mrbb
I will just say this, there is ZERO magic caliber that kills deer dead right there ALL the time

things can happen and deer can run off

I have seen (we even had it on video) a small doe (she was feeding ina food plot NOT spooked or on alert too) shot at less than a 100 yards thru the lungs and heart with a 50 BMG 750 grain soft point, 13,000 FT Lbs of energy, a hole thru is a person could throw a foot ball thru and NOT hit anything part of the deer! yet that deer ran almost a 100 yards HOW?? who know's , as all vitals were pretty much GONE shoulder bones broke as well,

and I have seen others deer run after being hit with several other VERY large, over kill, calibers for deer,
shot in the vitals(heart lungs)

IMO< sometimes < they can be dead on there feet and still run!
I agree with the above. I have shot smallish does at less than 50 yards, jellified their insides and yet they still run over 100 yards just like you said. But I think sometimes shooting at significant range, with proper shot placement, can increase the odds of DRTs. The reason being, the deer is less likely to associate being shot with the rapport of the rifle and less likely to have an "adrenaline run."