HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 6.5 Creedmoor vs 308 Winchester: A Battle of Ballistic Coefficients
Old 07-06-2021, 06:01 PM
flags
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
This is the same silly stuff which always comes up in any discussion about the 6.5 creedmoor, and frankly, it’s nothing more than that. Sure there’s plenty of stuff the 6.5 creed will do the x55 won’t...

BS. Both will fire a 6.5mm bullet at the same velocity and both will have the same downrange performance.

When loaded to their maximum pressures, the 6.5 Creedmoor uses less powder, recoils less, and offers longer barrel life than the 6.5x55 Swede, and fits into a lighter rifle.

More BS. Nobody is going to shoot either one enough to wear out a barrel and my 6.5x55 Swede is less than 7 lbs with a scope.

When loaded to equivalent velocity, the Creedmoor uses less powder to get there, and still fits into a lighter rifle - and frankly, is considerably easier to develop loads for.

More BS. The difference in powder is miniscule and the Swede is no harder to develop a load for than the Creed.

Speed isn’t the only measure of cartridge performance. Guys were using any and all of the old cartridges on the market for competition before the 6.5 creed came about. Then some shooters asked for improvements in specific directions, which all pointed to a shortened case, fatter, with a steeper shoulder and achieving a minimum performance standard.

Speed is not what I am talking about. Did I mention speed? The 6.5x55 Swede has been handily killing big game all over the world for more than a century. Deer, elk moose etc... are no tougher now than they were before the Creed came around and that's my point. There is NOTHING the Creed can do that my Swede will not do.

It’s talking out of both sides of your mouth to say a Swede has any value which isn’t also bestowed upon the Creed. Twins cannot have disparate value - such is the nature of being twins. If you don’t need one or want one, don’t buy one. I don’t have a need for a 6.5 creed, so I don’t have one. But it’s silly to pretend it doesn’t deserve a spot at the table beside its ballistic twins, just because you have an older analogy and don’t need another.

I guess reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. What I stated was that the Creed will do nothing that my Swede won't do and for that reason I see no reason to own one. I also noted several other cartridges that the same thing can be said for. The 6.5x55, 6.5x57, 6.5x68, 260 Rem, 6.5 Rem Mag and the 264 Win Mag will all do what the Creed does. As a matter of fact the 260 Rem is virtually identical to the Creed and it was out on the market before the Creed.
Make no mistake about it, the Creed was developed to sell rifles and there is nothing wrong with that. But there were already other rifles and cartridges that do the same thing and since I own one of those rifles I have no need for the Creed. If you want one, by all means go buy one. But there is no magic in anything the Creed does. Hundreds of thousands of big game animals fell to 6.5mm bullets long before the Creed was ever conceived. Buy off on the hype if you want to, I'll pass.