HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 6.5 Creedmoor vs 308 Winchester: A Battle of Ballistic Coefficients
Old 07-04-2021, 03:41 AM
Ridge Runner
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by elkman30
I guess I should own up on calling 6.5 CM one of the newest calibers designed for long range shooting. I did not realize that the 6.5CM came out in 2007. That is a long time ago. I don't read gun mags every month but do read them occasionally or whenever a buddy talks about some new caliber or there's an article about something to do with a game species that I hunt. In looking through your above list of calibers, I can see that the gun mags ignore several of those 6mm's and most of the Nosler cartridges. Comparing a cartridge to the 308 gives a baseline of performance for many of us. That doesn't mean half of any article should be about a .308 but I can see where listing it in a title is going to draw more attention.

My interest in long range shooting is about calibers and cartridges used, what makes them more competitive and why. It's fun to learn new stuff and see what direction competitions are moving a class of rifles and cartridges. I don't know that any of the new cartridges are going to make a difference for me in hunting or plinking but it's interesting still to see what people are using to remain competitive at longer ranges.
Back in the 50's some wildcatter who's name escapes me, took a 250/3000 savage, necked it to 6.5 and AI'd it, was an exact clone of the 6.5 creed. so nothing new about it. The only reason it jumped out of the gates so strong was they built decent rifles for the chambering (the RPR for example) and loaded decent ammo for them. its really rather anemic when you consider it runs a 140 at around 2700 fps.