HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 300 Win Mag vs 308 Caliber Comparison: A Clash of 30-Caliber Titans
Old 07-01-2021, 10:01 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Despite demonstrated versatility, I simply haven’t enjoyed the 308win. I tend to find the case capacity simply isn’t there to really make use of the best bullets for the 30 caliber bore. For the case capacity, I can do everything I want to do with a 7-08 or 260rem, 6.5 creed, etc with higher sectional density, higher BC, higher velocity, and less recoil (in most cases). I’ve owned the 308win in several firearm actions and designs; light and short bolt action, heavy and long bolt action, LFAR, Garand, M1A, CETME, FN FAL, Browning BLR, Remington 7600... I just can’t find it interesting... So the .308win has really been a “mini-van” of cartridges for me - I know some folks find them fantastically convenient, but I just haven’t caught the bug...

The 300win mag, on the other hand, has become my trusted out-of-state big game cartridge. Admittedly, I’ve come to favor the 30PRC - everything the 300wm should have been from the beginning - but for availability and fitting into standard long actions, the 300wm is an exceptionally reliable anchoring rifle for big game. Capable of long range work, it’s what I reach for when crossing state lines. I’ve also enjoyed it as an ELR light class cartridge, practicing for really long range shooting without spending quite so much per shot. A 31” barrel with a 1:9” twist on a 300wm (now 300PRC) can really reach out beyond what is possible with most bottleneck standard long action cartridges, without committing to the cost, recoil, powder consumption, and rifle weight of a true ELR cartridge and rifle.

The downside to the 300wm is how finicky it really is to reload. Compared to many other cartridges, the super short neck of the 300wm and the fact the tail of any bullet I end up using is below the shoulder junction really throws a twist in our nickers for reloading. Equally, a guy really needs to invest in a Larry Willis collet sizing die to resize the case body clear down to the belt every 3rd firing, lest there be risk of eventual difficulty in chambering, or unwarranted sticky bolt upon primary extraction. Neither of these issues befall the 308win (at least not with 178/180 class and lighter bullets), nor the 300 PRC (or .30-06 AI, for that matter, or 300wsm or RSAUM). In this way, the 300wm is more like an F-350 to me - not quite a semi-tractor equivalent, but capable of far more than your typical half-ton pickup, which DOES come with a little stiffer road ride and longer turning radius, and of course, poor fuel economy...

And personally, I have far more use for an F-350 than I do for a mini-van, so the comparison for the two, for me, is a long ways from a clash of Titans, and more of a swift and sound schooling of a chubby and out of shape middle aged 155 pound lightweight stepping into the ring with a seasoned 205 pound Light Heavyweight... there’s only one possible outcome.