HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Is Diamondback DB15 or DB10 a great rilfe?
Old 06-27-2021, 07:05 AM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by AlongCameJones
Older guns just look better to my eyes. I've owned a 1971 Colt Lawman Mark III in 4" barrel and both a 1970's-vintage Colt Series 70/Mark IV and a pre-Series 70 Government Model that had lovely smooth bluing and crisp impeccable letter markings. There's no beating the cosmetic quality of common service pistols made by Colt prior to 1980. Which is prettier to your eyes? A mint 1964 Cadillac Eldorado convertible or any modern plasticar?

I have a lot of EMOTIONS about guns. Most here fail to understand that. I HATE cosmetic sloppiness, period. The gun, old or new, has to look machined and finished neat or it doesn't make my cut.
if you HATE cosmetic sloppiness,
then you need to stop looking at LOW end guns and entry level guns
as the whole point of these model guns, are they are CHEAP and as CHEAP things are, they DON"T have high quality fit and finishes, in order to keep there costs down

Go look at some higher end guns and you will find the fit and finish to be top notch, even better than older vintage guns
and before you TRY and say older guns were just made better
NO they were not
the OLDER guns that WERE made better were also the HIGHER costing one of there ERA
the entry level and cheaper models they made back then had just as low grade of fit and finish, THUS why they cost less than there BETTER grade guns of same models !

SO< things have NOT changed to be honest, in costs(inflation has changed numbers )
the BETTER guns still cost more than there lower cheaper models and grades on them

what features MOST want these days has also changed
yrs ago fine wood and high gloss blueing was IN DEMAND
but that has changed to most wanting, Plastic stocks and matte finishes or COATED finishes that are more durable and require less up keep! and overall more durable!

we all LIKE what we like, nothing wrong with that

but Try and go buy a NEW or mint 1964 Cadillac Eldorado and see how CRAZY costly one will be NOW! a fully restored one to LIKE new condition will cost you a LOT of coin!
is it really worth it, having dated parts, technology, and worries of ever finding a part when needed as vehicles are wear and tear items right??
back to what is worth to ME< might be different to you, and so will HOW much $$ one has to answer a question of this type ??
Values are personal when buying ANYTHING
what one will pay another will not, and BOTH will feel there RIGHT!
OLD Vintage, does NOT mean better or higher quality,!
actually with age, come higher risks of something failing! as AGE along wears on things!