HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Is Diamondback DB15 or DB10 a great rilfe?
Old 06-26-2021, 05:49 AM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by AlongCameJones
Mrrb:

It seemed like a simple yes or no question asking the opinion of others: Is .308 a great caliber for gophers and woodchucks?

So is this one: Are .308 cartridges too expensive to be banging away at a prairie dog town, woodchucks or squirrels?

This is a remark about what I do know about 5.56 ammunition:5.56 can be had cheap but it's not for mule deer or whitetail.

My remark that this caliber is not for deer means to me I don't feel confident I can take a deer humanely and effectively with this cartridge. I do know that 5.56 can be had fairly cheap and especially so in bulk. I do know that .308 indeed is a prime example deer caliber. However, I doubt if it's practical or economical for killing small varmints as rodents.

My OP probably should have read since people here seem to like OP's based on one question only: Is there one single caliber available in any AR-based rifle retailing under $1,000 that is practical, economical and effective for both deer hunting AND small rodents?

As a matter of fact, I've just revised my OP right now.

again, you don;'t seem to understand(or maybe you do and this is a fgame for you)

that once again, when you asked your SIMPLE YES OR NO question
YES it was simple
but its YOU< that pollute your won topic/question with all sorts of information that is mostly incorrect and just BS< you seemed to have read else where and are trying to pass it on as YOUR THOUGHTS< when you obviously don't know much at all about guns or ammo!
its making you SOUND like a person that is trying to pretend to ask for help, then before you even get a reply, your trying to TEACH US something, you know nothing about!, and then you try and post video's to back up what ever you read or seen and then again CLAIM to pretend to know more about it

AS IF you really KNOW your stuff, why are you asking us about it??

NEXT and again, to TRY and answer your questions

It seemed like a simple yes or no question asking the opinion of others: Is .308 a great caliber for gophers and woodchucks?

well, IMO< a .308 is way over kill for small critters, BUT if it floats your boat to use BIGGER than needed calibers to hunt or shoot things, its a free country where you can if you so wish too!

NEXT,
So is this one: Are .308 cartridges too expensive to be banging away at a prairie dog town, woodchucks or squirrels?

well this is a question that is again a personal thing,
as really simple what is TOO expensive to one person maybe isn;t TOO EXPENSIVE to another
Some folks reload and thus ammo is a LOT cheaper
.308 ammo can also be bought in bulk making is rather CHEAP to shoot, so, is it too expensive or NOT
is NOT a question that can even be answered on forum or else where! period! it shows again lack of for thought into even asking this silly question!

as if you have deep pockets , then I doubt any price for ammo is too costly too shot if you enjoy doing so? many folks shoot very expensive per round guns and NONE I know of THINK its too costly for them to enjoy doing so!

and as for you BUYING a AR platform,
have at it
but like much of your PLANS and thoughts, < I doubt there is much reality to them panning out!
sorry just being honest!

and lastly
I don;'t know what rock you been under, but ZERO ammo right now is CHEAP and easy to be found in large amounts
since the last 16 months or so ammo has been in its highest costing platform in the past 10+ yrs and its exceptionally HARD to find at times in ALL calibers
SO again, its showing that you know so little about ammo and guns

the days of CHEAP ammo have been gone a while now and odds are will get worse before or even IF it ever gets better!

and don't forget another FACT you seem to be missing on AMMO

using BULK Military 5.56/.233 ammo to shoot deer or woodchucks or ground hogs, is PISS POOR AMMO for the task
as its full metal jacketed ammo, NOT made to expand on impact
so its poor bullet to be using for hunting and can be ILLEGAL to use in many places!
it also deflects and travels a LOT farther after passing thru a target/animal than expanding ammo, making it a safety issue as well!

SO, NOW< if you KNEW anything about AMMO
and you wanted to use HUNTING bullets in 5.565-.233, you will soon find out that CHEAP so called 5.56/.233 ammo, doesn't exist at all
as once you BUY and use HUNTING 5.56-.233 ammo, you will discover its a LOT more costly than Bulk ammo in it meant for target shooting !!

again, all simple info we experienced shooters and hunters know, and that can be found real easy if one should spent a little time trying to learn something , rather than just pretend they know something or plan to do something!
or repeating things you read or watched, but have NO clue if what YOU read or Watched IS ACCURATE OR CORRECT!

Your sadly not helping yourself here with these kind of posts and replies
as there are tons of highly experiences folks here that WOULD help you , if you maybe approached things better
its not that were old and bitter
its we don't like folks trying to waste our time with nonsense when we TRY to help them!
either you KNOW something or you DON"T
if you know it don;'t ask about it, TEACH us something
if you WANT HELP< stick to asking a question and not filling in your own reply's with info you read seen else where
its as if you DON"T want help, you just want us to agree with you, which defeats the point of asking a question here at all!

Last edited by mrbb; 06-26-2021 at 12:33 PM.