HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - the minimalist approach
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2021, 01:01 PM
flags
Giant Nontypical

-vehicle (pickup, truck, etc.) -ice chests with ice to pack body cavity to cool carcass -apron -jugs of water and a small pail to flush body cavity -large bucket to dump guts into -long disposable field dressing gloves to keep clothing/hands/arms clean while gutting -few large trash bags -sharp knife -sharp gut hook - -gambrel with hoist to clean deer hanging from tree branch -shovel to bury guts -game bag or tarp to cover carcass -handheld GPS -small backpack -rain poncho -coffee thermos -lunch -sighted-in rifle -loads -gloves -orange hat -orange vest -clothing depending upon weather -waterproof boots -extra socks -sidearm in belt holster -watch -license, tags, permit,etc.- means of attaching tag to animal -t.p. -e-tool -a deer cart or wheelbarrow - a butt plug to keep deerchit from contacting your meat
Wow. Wonder how I have managed to fill all those deer tags with only a fanny pack full of gear and 5 rounds of ammo? I have even killed a number of deer when all I had was the shells that would fit in my rifle and a pocket knife to field dress it with. Rather than being concerned about what gear to take, I'd be concerned about learning about the sport of hunting. How to find game. How to read sign. How to look at the terrain and decide where to begin looking. How to understand how the weather impacts game. How to properly place a shot. How to actually enjoy yourself in the woods.

Your list tells me you have VERY LITTLE actual hunting experience which is fine but your posts kind of show that you have some contempt for those that do have experience. I wonder if you even know how much experience some of us have that have tried to help you. Here is mine:

I have hunted in 13 different states, 2 Canadian Provinces and done 5 African Safaris.
I have taken 98 deer to date with a mix of mulies, whitetails and blacktails and I shot my first deer at 9 years old with a 30-30.
I have taken 25 elk.
I have taken 14 Pronghorn Antelope.
I have taken 2 Sika Deer.
I have taken 2 Black Bear.
I have taken 4 bison.
I have taken 3 alligators.
I have taken 1 Bighorn Sheep
I have Taken 1 Mountain Goat
I have taken 1 Stone Sheep
I have taken 1 Blackbuck
I have taken 1 Aoudad Sheep.
I have taken 1 Texas Dahl Sheep
I have taken more hogs than I can count.

In Africa I have taken Cape Kudu, Southern Greater Kudu, Cape Eland, Impala, Common Springbok, Black Springbok, Cape Bushbuck, Blesbok, Red Hartebeest, Western Hartebeest, Blue Wildebeest, Black Wildebeest, Warthog, Burchell's Zebra, Vaal Rhebok, Oribi, Common Waterbuck, Western Roan, Red-Flanked Duiker, Olive Baboon, Gemsbok, Nigerian Bhor Reedbuck and a butt load of Guinea Fowl for the pot.

I would like to help you but get the feeling you really don't want any help. But if the OP wants to get an idea about how I hunt and what I carry he can read this about a buck I took off public land in TX last season.
Day of the Deer

Last edited by flags; 06-12-2021 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Typo