HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - the minimalist approach
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2021, 07:35 PM
CalHunter
Super Moderator

My comments below in blue to maintain context.

Originally Posted by AlongCameJones
CalHunter, I had better cool off for a while. Take a break a while from new threads. I just ordered that deer hunting book online. I would like to thank Bocajnala for sharing his gear with us. I wonder how one uses a DRAG ROPE but still protects the meat from contamination. When I shot my buck on my guided hunt, I only had to drag the deer to the guide's Dodge 4x4 about 100 feet in the woods. He wasn't gutted yet, that was done back at the ranch house.
You're in the process of learning a lesson that many of us (and I include myself in that category) have had to learn about proofreading something before we hit the send button. Things will sound great in my head but don't always look good in the topic. Your guided hunt gave you a good idea about a gear list for that specific hunt. If you went back at the same time of the year but the rancher and his sons weren't available, your gear list would likely change. And if you hunted the exact same property towards the end of the season, your list might change again. The point is you know how you're going to hunt, where you're going to hunt, what vehicle access you're going to, hunting partners or not, etc. All anybody can give you is a general gear list that they use for their type of hunting. It's up to you to decide whether to keep that list or modify it.

I looked "drag rope"up on Google and found this video: the guy has his doe gutted already and is dragging her along the ground with the body cavity open to possibly get contaminated with dirt, leaves and debris as he is dragging.
I've done my share of rinsing out a carcass but try not to drag it through dirt or leaves. Where I hunt, I can often bring my truck up near my downed buck so there is minimal dragging. If you get a chance, watch a few Youtube videos on the gutless method of field dressing a buck or any large game animal. I first heard of it from Flags and am transitioning over to it.

Field dressing on the ground. My concerns are my bad back (severe pain from stooping/squatting, I do much better standing up or sitting) and soiling the meat with dirt, grass and leaves. Big Uncle says I should learn to gut a deer on the ground. Could it be that there might not be a tree handy with a low branch in certain deer fields to hang a gambrel in Oklahoma? There are those deer gambrels that have long tripod legs and ones that attach to the hitch receiver or bumper of a truck. Of course, that's adding to the cost and complexity of gear. Lots of compromises. Those of us with some physical limitations or a degree of handicap may just need more gear than we really like. One thing I don't have to worry about in Ok is large predators like brown bear. From what I gather, a cougar or a black bear in this plains state is about rare to none at all.
Big uncle is correct IMHO on gutting a buck on the ground. It's much easier than hanging it up on a deer gambrel in the field or on some hoist attached to your truck. You still have the issue of getting your buck into your truck but there are several methods for doing that. Currently, I have a half sheet of 3/4 plywood in the back of my truck that helps me a lot. That works for me and my specific type of hunting and vehicle access and may not work at all for the next guy. The trick is to think your way all the way through your hunt at the location you're hunting. How close can you get your truck to your downed buck? Do you have a truck? Or can you borrow one? If you can get a truck near your downed buck, then you can leave most of that gear in your truck. And go hunt with your rifle, ammo, license, tags, binos, hunter orange if required and some method for carrying water (I prefer hydration bladders but most hunter do just fine with a water bottle).

Jake (Bocajnala) has given you excellent advice to get out there and hunt. Each time you hunt, you will find your gear list changes a bit. And that's okay. It means you're learning and figuring out what you really need and what can be left behind in your truck or not purchased in the first place. It's a process but a fun one.