HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - the minimalist approach
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2021, 11:35 PM
AlongCameJones
Fork Horn

Question

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Way too much gear and way too complicated process for hunting whitetail in OK.
Some items may be required to legally hunt: license, tags, permits, hunter orange. Of course we all need a vehicle for transportation and a gun and ammo during gun season. Gear needs may depend on individuals,terrain and weather conditions. If you are as strong as Rambo you might be able to get by without a deer cart or a wheelbarrow.

What might some people here eliminate from my checklist above if they were to hunt deer in a relatively flat state like Oklahoma? Do YOU really need a GPS?

I did a fun Google search and found this link:
https://www.advancedhunter.com/deer-hunting-checklist/

Stuff in the gear list I don't know what it is or I don't think it's necessary, I bolded in red.

Field Packing Checklist

Now we come to the fun part, organizing your hunting pack for the big day.

You might be tempted to throw every gadget you own into the pack, but like one of my favorite bloggers likes to say “Don’t be Like Batman”. Don’t be that guy strutting through the woods with a piece of gear attached to every loop, and stuffed in each pouch.

Invest in quality gear that you can rely on, and pack only the essential gear. When in doubt, ask yourself if it will actually help you kill something, or help preserve the game when you do take an animal.

Hunting Backpack or Day Pack Bow Release GPS/Map/Compass Hunting Licenses/Tags (Check Again!) Ammo/Arrows/Broadheads Calls/Scents First Aid Kit Firearm/Bow Drag Rope Means of FireHeadlamp/Flashlight Hunting Knife/Multi-Tool Cell Phone Glow Sticks Folding Saw Tree Stand/<Safety HarnessHunting BinocularsBug Spray Wear Your Blaze Orange Binocular Harness Hand Warmers Paracord (what is this?) Rangefinder Water & Snacks Game Bags/Latex Gloves Rain Gear Extra Layers (depends on how cold the weather is)

Last edited by AlongCameJones; 06-08-2021 at 12:03 AM.