HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How not to worry about your dog overheating during dove season.
Old 06-02-2021, 06:16 PM
AlongCameJones
Fork Horn

Lightbulb How not to worry about your dog overheating during dove season.

Shoot at the first legal time in the morning. Have your MOJO decoys up and your station set up already. It's cooler in the early morning. Hopefully you will limit out before it gets too hot for your dog or you. Still have cool water for your dog and you. Pack up and get out of there before the heat gets too bad. Others may chime in here too. There is a winter season for dove too in some jurisdictions. No worry about canine or human heat stroke there.

I'm about as heat sensitive as a human as any fat black Labrador Retriever. I figure if it's time for me to beeline for the air-conditioned truck, it's time for my dog and I to both wrap it up and head for home.

I used to have black Labs. A male and bitch pair. One time I played the male too hard at catching frisbee one hot summer afternoon at a local elementary school field. He was a good catch but the heat darn near killed him. He collapsed and I managed to get him home in the truck and fortunately he recovered. From then onward, my dogs would be taken to a cool river in town for a swim when the thermometer got red and frisbee play at school grounds was reserved for the cooler seasons. I felt OK throwing the Nylabone disk in the heat but it was my poor dog doing all the running and catching in the heat. This was in Boise, Idaho where the climate is dry and not humid but still. Boise is also 2,750 feet above sea level and my male Lab was raised in California down near sea level. My Labs lived full lives and passed on. Labs and especially black ones are most heat sensitive. I don't dare walk dogs on hard pavement when it's hot. For summertime walks in the street, it would be early morning and late evening around sundown or along the river trail in the cool shade trees where the dogs can take a dip in the water too cool down.

Last edited by AlongCameJones; 06-04-2021 at 01:39 AM.