HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Does any hunter here wear a sidearm in a belt holster?
Old 06-02-2021, 05:08 AM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by AlongCameJones
Oh, I see what you mean. A rig that hangs from a belt straps to the thigh so it doesn't flop around I guess. I dunno. That looks complicated and messy to deal with. It might be a lot of trouble to undo that to pull ones pants down to take a krap. Whenever I think of guns attached to human legs, I think of ankle rigs.

I would carry specifically a Smith N-frame .44, 6" (hogleg is my slang for such big revolver, I don't yet own such gun) in bear country or my newly-online-ordered Smith 686 PLUS .357 L-frame, 3" in an area I know there is no bears. Some people (including a veteran policeman) on other firearms sites have indicated that either a chest rig or a shoulder rig would flop around, get in the way and/or hurt ones body while walking along hunting. The method the sidearm is carried can't interfere with the slinging, carry or mounting of a long gun. I seems like most long-gun hunters prefer to carry a sidearm on either hip if they pack a sidearm afield at all.
the tactical hip,thigh holster I linked to you, is a BELT, witha fats release clip, just as that straps on the legs are,
so its as fast if not faster than a basic belt to take off if needed
and topically more comfortable and holds a gun more securely (due to its retention systems, so will Not fall out in you fall or gets snagged on anything) and faster to draw once you learn how to use it, which isn;t hard
I have worn them dozens of times as does both many military and police agency' due to how well they work!
Next the some chest rigs and shoulder holders are NOT of the same quality
and yes some I gather can move some while , your moving, bending walking or??

BUT there are many that hold things in place and are , desired by many Professional guides that work in place BIG bears live and strive!,a s back up guns to there rifles!

so, they work JUST fine and problem free

its like many things in life, you need to buy what FITS YOU and YOU Like

but there is nothing wrong with the designs of many of them like I shared!

if you wanted a more secure to the BODY chest holster, you can always get into a vest set up, where you where a vest that the holster actually attaches to, many offer dozens of positions and placements on them to FIT you how ever your shaped or want it

there used a LOT by law enforcement and military , again due to how well they work and the options they offer the user!
might be adding more bulk than you want to wear when hunting, but is an option if you feel you need a form fitting hold next to your body so gun doesn't move?

just options , suggestions, and advice here,