HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Does any hunter here wear a sidearm in a belt holster?
Old 06-01-2021, 10:55 PM
AlongCameJones
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mrbb
I also never STATED A ANKLE HOLSTER
and never said you did either
you stated
belt holster with a hog-leg in it on the strong side

which is what I was referring to when I stated a type of tactical THIGH holster
like these types
https://www.cheaperthandirt.net/blac...All%20Products

they attach to your BELT and then your THIGH
they ride lower on the leg than a traditional belt holster!

you never really mention what specific pistol you planned to carry, just a handgun , and this these holsters are rather comfortable when walking and carrying a rifle!
and why I mentioned them!

as for wanting to carry a LARGE hand gun, that opens a whole new can of worms IMO
the most comfortable way to carry a large framed revolved IMO< is with a chest rig
like one of these

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/diam...2&gclsrc=3p.ds
Oh, I see what you mean. A rig that hangs from a belt straps to the thigh so it doesn't flop around I guess. I dunno. That looks complicated and messy to deal with. It might be a lot of trouble to undo that to pull ones pants down to take a krap. Whenever I think of guns attached to human legs, I think of ankle rigs.

I would carry specifically a Smith N-frame .44, 6" (hogleg is my slang for such big revolver, I don't yet own such gun) in bear country or my newly-online-ordered Smith 686 PLUS .357 L-frame, 3" in an area I know there is no bears. Some people (including a veteran policeman) on other firearms sites have indicated that either a chest rig or a shoulder rig would flop around, get in the way and/or hurt ones body while walking along hunting. The method the sidearm is carried can't interfere with the slinging, carry or mounting of a long gun. I seems like most long-gun hunters prefer to carry a sidearm on either hip if they pack a sidearm afield at all.

Last edited by AlongCameJones; 06-01-2021 at 11:06 PM.