HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Does any hunter here wear a sidearm in a belt holster?
Old 06-01-2021, 02:45 PM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by AlongCameJones
Mrbb, I never said I would carry a holster on my leg or wear an ankle rig while hunting in my OP. You might be getting my term "hogleg" misunderstood. It's a big pistol like a Smith N-frame .44 with a fairly long barrel. I picked that jargon up from the character of Don Johnson (Marlboro Man) in the early-'90's film Harley-Davidson and the Marlboro Man. The character of Mickey Rourke (Harley-Davidson) was packing a big .454 conversion and it was a surprise to the cowboy buddy. I would sport that piece on my hip while hunting. I would only carry a pistol exposed as a hunting sidearm. Oklahoma is a CC state anyway. I could conceivably carry a sidearm hunting for any number of reasons. My rifle is set down and a need a defensive weapon in a hurry. I need to dispatch wounded game. My rifle is slung and I need to stop a charging wild animal fast or defend myself from a dangerous and threatening Homo sapiens type. My hunting rifle (usually limited to 4 or 5 shots) runs out of ammo during a bear battle and I need the pistol as backup to finish the attacking bear off.
I also never STATED A ANKLE HOLSTER
and never said you did either
you stated
belt holster with a hog-leg in it on the strong side

which is what I was referring to when I stated a type of tactical THIGH holster
like these types
https://www.cheaperthandirt.net/blac...All%20Products

they attach to your BELT and then your THIGH
they ride lower on the leg than a traditional belt holster!

you never really mention what specific pistol you planned to carry, just a handgun , and this these holsters are rather comfortable when walking and carrying a rifle!
and why I mentioned them!

as for wanting to carry a LARGE hand gun, that opens a whole new can of worms IMO
the most comfortable way to carry a large framed revolved IMO< is with a chest rig
like one of these

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/diam...2&gclsrc=3p.ds