HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - There is different kinds of LAND to hunt on.
Old 05-31-2021, 12:58 PM
flags
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by CalHunter
Flags (another member on here) uses a gutless method that is intriguing and will likely become my go to method.
I can tell you for dead certain that if you learn the gutless method you will NEVER waste time packing out bones and skin again. It takes an animal or 2 to get good at it (I practiced on mule deer does) but once you get it down it is faster and cleaner than gutting the animal and then fooling around with it. I can completely piece down a deer in less than 45 minutes and all I take out is edible meat, I no longer care about antlers and leave them in the field with the bones and guts or just shoot females to begin with. However it must be stressed that the method isn't legal everywhere. Here in TX I can't legally break them down into anything smaller than quarters and I have to bring out the head. I still do the gutless method but in TX I end up bringing out bones and the head. To me that is a dumb law since I would rather leave them for the coyotes and it sure irritates me to pack out the head of a doe just to toss it in the trash when I get home. But the law is what the law is and I'll follow it to the letter.