HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - best field dress knife for deer on budget?
Old 05-27-2021, 03:48 PM
elkman30
Nontypical Buck

Before you go shopping, you can do more research online. See what the comments are on both of the knives you're looking at. There will be somebody who posts about the hardness of the knives, how easy it is to sharpen them (or not) and other things that help you pick the best one for you. Another source is to check out some Youtube videos on gutting and skinning the animals you're considering hunting. You can see what those people are using and how well it works or not. Some of the videos are done by fish and Game wardens, some by butchers, etc. so you can get a good idea of what would work and then tailor that to you. One last thing. I know your budget is $30 or so. I have found that many times a self imposed budget limit tends to limit the quality of what I can buy. You don't need to spend hundreds of $$ to get a good knife but sometimes going up by $5 or $10 can make a big difference in quality and how well a knife feels in your hand.