HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Hunter - need advice
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2021, 04:56 PM
bronko22000
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by zachboi
i think I’ll start by doing a required safety course and then doing a guided hunt after I get my license.
That's a good start. Another thing you could do is join a shooting club/range. Go to meetings and get to know some of the guys. You might just be able to pick up a hunting buddy there. As for places to go check you state's game lands for any close to you. They usually give maps of them and what game is available.
Just remember that hunting isn't about killing a animal. That for most true hunters is secondary. Its getting out and enjoying nature. I get just as much enjoyment watching field mice and chipmunks running around where I'm sitting or watching a squirrel doing his acrobatics in a tree top as anything. Now when a target animal comes into view and the adrenaline kicks in and your heart is pounding in your chest and you can feel it pounding in your ears and your breathing quickens that's a feeling you won't soon forget. But you have to learn to control it so you can make a clean ethical shot.
Good luck and remember there is no such thing as a dumb question so ask away.