HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Beginner hunter in need of some tips!
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2021, 08:25 AM
Imabeginner
Spike

Default Beginner hunter in need of some tips!

Hey everyone, this is my first season of turkey hunting and i’m really struggling. No one else in my family has hunted so I have no one to come to and this seems like a great spot. I’m hunting a private 500 acre Island that is heavily forest with no big wide open areas. I have seen a pack of maybe 10-15 turkeys when I was a lot younger. On opening day (april 25) I was able to call in a big tom but he got hung up about 70 yards away and I was not comfortable making a lethal shot with my crossbow on him from that far so I let him pass without spooking him. Its been almost 5 hunts since then and I havent been able to even hear a bird since then. I’ve used locator calls early mornings and right before roosting hours and haven’t been able to locate anything. Does anyone have any other tips for locating roosts in dense forests? It’s starting to get really discouraging spending 7 hours a day in the woods and not hearing a thing especially after being so close the first day. Ill attach examples of the land a bit later and hopefully it’ll give you guys some ideas. Any tips would be greatly appreciated as i’m a young beginner hunter. Looking forward to hear what you guys think! Thanks!!!