HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shoulder or Double lung
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2003, 12:27 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Shoulder or Double lung

On a broadside the DL shot is the highest % shot to take and will result in a dead animal in short order. The shoulder shot has its benefits as well and usually will result in a DL with the proper bullet selection, caliber and placement on most game. My fav is a quarter away right behind the showing shoulder using the opposite shoulder as backing, when having this shot i have never seen any game make it out of my sight. Moose & Elk I want a double lung shot, it provides the biggest target, doesn't ruin meat and will drop that animal in short order.

Moose are much easier to drop than a elk, however there shoulders are extremely strong and large, my advice is aim for the lungs and watch him fall over in your scope. The 3006 with 180 gr bullet is more than enough to topple a moose and probably safe to say this bullet and cartridge takes more moose annually than all others combined. BTW, I don't use a 3006 but certainly don't believe a 338 is required if Moose and Deer are your main concerns. However if you want one they will more than do the trick and be an excellent elk gun if you ever decide to give them a whirl...just aim for the H/L and save that precious meat on the swamp donkey's.