HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Sprayed by a skunk
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2021, 09:21 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by OddStripe
I guess you could always pass off the lingering skunk odor as cologne. Any business partners ever comment on it?
I have typically brought it up to the folks on my side of the fence, and most of the time, I’ve been intimate enough with my external partners to be able to bring it up casually. I only recall one meeting for which I was rank before a “first impression” meeting and I had to make arrangements for carpooling from one location to the next, and table seating in the room to make sure I wouldn’t get TOO close to the potential customer/partner.

Honestly, skunk smell has been easier to conceal or eliminate than facial bruises, bandages, casts, crutches, etc which came about from my other pursuits as a professional bull rider and amateur Brazilian jiu jitsu and mma fighter. Getting sprayed once or twice, MAYBE three times in a year, and typically on a Saturday hunt, so gone by a Tuesday meeting, hasn’t been nearly as awkward to explain away as has been regaling customers with the tales of whatever black eye or cast I might have been wearing after one of a half dozen minor or major injuries in each given competition year with much longer lingering evidence.

Any and all of these typically been a net positive influence, as only one time in my career have I had a business partner state he was glad I was a partner instead of an employee, as he’d never be able to stick me on payroll knowing the insurance liability I represented in my extracurricular activities.