HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Turkey hunt with my dogs?
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2021, 04:18 AM
redmag
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by cscollins3857
Thanks everybody for the advice, that was awesome. Sounds like me and the dogs will be drillin a lot of extended sit-and-waits at the house and on walks. Which is awesome cuz they’re wild as hell at the house lol. Bocephus (the pointer) already barks at anything he trees. Both times he got into turkeys out of my sight, I heard him barkin like crazy and then saw em fly.
And of course I would check the laws before I actually hunt or even practice running them on game. For now all I’m doing is hiking national scenic trails and using e collars as their collars so they can run as free as I can let em.
Just hiking the Pinhoti and Appalachian Trails they’ve come across all sorts of animals and as of recent, turkeys, so I’m just tryin to get a grasp of what these house pets are capable of if I change my training strategies early. I’ve heard so many stories of how amazing dogs can be for pursuing game and now that college wrestling is over for me I’m ready for a new adventure.
thanks again everybody, God bless
The state of WV allows dogs in the fall as does VA. In VA down around Charlottsville (sp) hunting with dogs is quite the rage and considered "gentlemen hunting" just like those who hunt quail, etc. Training as such is not permitted in WV and I do not know about VA. Given that your dos are already breaking flock and barking upon break, I'd say most likely they'll hunt and perform for you. One fear I always had was that Jake would hunt wider than I wanted and I was afraid that some "neck" would shoot him that may be out hunting. There are people who don't like seeing dogs run through the mts. Jake was a hunter but more importantly he was our pet. The guy lived in the house, slept in the bed, and would go in the car or truck whenever we went anywhere. We treated him like a kid. One of his favorite places to go was Dairy Queen. Just make sure that you can legally hunt with him where you take him is good advice.