HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Turkey hunt with my dogs?
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2021, 06:45 PM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

yes it is amazing to watch a hunting dog do what mother nature made it to do!

but please be aware that there are lots of LAWS on dogs and training them on public lands and even private lands

just letting them chance most live animals, be wild or domestic can get you in trouble(fines or worse)
so before you start taking things out and OFF lease and are doing TRAINING< make sure you read up on laws and rules on the what and what not's to be doing or that can LEGALLY be done

its is 100% ILLEGAL to hunt turkeys in Alabama with dogs
it isn;t a IF< its a fact!

I am not bashing here or trying to be negative, just trying to let you know the laws and not get yourself into troubles

in the spring time, all the more so when many wild animals are nursing there young, having a dog run wild, can do a LOT of harm and damage to young wildlife
owning a dog or dogs is a big responsibility and something many openers take for granted
they need exercise and time to be dogs and burn off excessive energy
my dogs seen a few miles recovery day of free time
Trained then to run along side atv's and vehicles on private lands, saved me a lot of walking as I got older LOL
but all dogs are different too in how much energy levels they have and need to burn off !
but its a simple things with dogs the more you train them the more you get back out of them, in bonding and results that show every where!
nothing alike a well trained dog! IMO

I treated mine like they were kids and the loyalty and friend ship and memories with them were/are priceless

a good thing to do with younger dogs might be training them to hunt for shed antlers(if your a deer hunter) this gets you a lot of time in the field and best time to start them is when there young!
so food for thought!