HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - DYI Wooden Ladder Stand
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2021, 03:11 PM
bronko22000
Boone & Crockett

Another welcome from me. Another thing to think about is Walmart has great after season prices on ladder stands if you get there in time. Also Dick's Sporting goods has good sales just prior to season. Another good source for stands is Sportsmans Guide.
If you're not set on a ladder stand you might be better served with a hang on stand and ladder sticks. These combos are usually lighter and easier to set up than a ladder stand. I have one ladder stand and although its fine, I don't like the idea of not being connected by my harness until I get up and seated. Even using a life line, if you slip you're a long way from the tree and when you hit it its going to probably hurt, a lot!
I use mostly hang ons and ladder steps. I set it all up using my harness and climbing belt and when I get it done I attach a life line above the stand, hook onto it and come back down then attach the bottom of the life line to either the tree or the steps. Safety first. As a Hunter trapper instructor I get first hand info of hunter fall(s) the previous year.
Over the years there have been death, paralyzed incidents and broken bones even with ladder stands. Not trying to scare you just reminding you to be safe.