HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Using a 2 row planter?
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2003, 08:22 AM
greg-dude

Default RE: Using a 2 row planter?

I thought maybe FarmHunter would have some experience in this and reply.

I don't have any experience in the planter at all because I only planted legumes and grasses on my farm. I seen a few of these, but never used them. However, I may be able to help a little.

First on the pigweed. You can allow it to germinate, but don't let it seed. If its just germinating, I can't imagine it going to seed this late. In fact this may be good in eliminating some of the weed seeds in the soil.

The trash in the fields: I am pretty sure that when you use that planter, the field will have to be fairly trash free. I think you will have planting problems if you don't eliminate the trash. I would disk everything in just before you plan to plant. The trash is good now to prevent erossion. If situations allow, you may even want to burn the field off, but be careful.

As far as what direction to till, I never heard anyone ever said it made a difference in relationship to that type of planter. It may be easier to follow the tracor tracks as you plant if you till at a angle before planting. I don't think it would make much difference in the actual success of the planting.

As far as the planter is concern, I can't help you. If you can't find out any more information, let me know and I will consult several old time farmers in this area that probably had used such a machine.