HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Wolf Hunting Caliber
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2021, 02:52 PM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

well I have hunted wolves but always more of a side deal, as in AK on other hunts and would grab a tag just in case chance came about
been about a ton of buddies that have shot there fair share in AK and Alberta over the decades
all pretty much just used there deer rifles and in calibers of the likes
a few guys I knew that did a lot of hunting with them being the main target animal, also tended to just use there deer rifles or rifles they felt comfortable with at ranges they planned to shoot at them!
and most of the guys sold hides or did mounts out of them afterwards without too much damage, pending like anything range and shot placement

none of the guy's I know claimed them to be that hard to kill, thick boned or fur?
and I seen some of there's that were pretty HUGE wolves they got, extremely impressive how big some of them can get!
SO< for me, MY vote would be use any deer caliber rifle you feel confident with!
no need to go buy anything special for them!
300 yards and under I would think a 22-250 would be a great caliber with right bullet!
I've knocked down 40-50 lb coyotes with mine out to about 500 yards and never felt under gunned !