HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Elk Outfitter in Colorado
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2020, 08:11 AM
Big Uncle
Nontypical Buck

It is always possible to get lucky, but the OTC and the easy-draw units are going to be tough. They get hammered. The outfitters in those units are generally less expensive that most other outfitters. Some of those outfitters have a bit of private land to hunt in addition to the public land, but most of the elk hunting is on public land. I would think that private land access in those units would be a big benefit unless the private land is just all bottom land where the elk will probably not be during hunting season.

Take a few minutes to look at the drawing odds for units to find the easy-draw ones and then add in the OTC units. That should help to narrow down your search.

If you go the "big bucks" ($$,$$$) route there are always the RFW ranches that have great success rates. I do know one outfitter in an easy-to-draw unit near Gunnison that charges about $4,500 for archery. He claims good success rates - not all of his hunter would agree with him. I have heard good things about an outfit in the Western part of the San Louis Valley that charged somewhere around $7,000 for archery and was fairly easy to draw, however I can not currently remember the name of the outfit.