HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Newby here
Thread: Newby here
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2020, 05:18 PM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

you have to keep in mind that food changes from Oct to now, as does leave cover on tree's
so, what was once maybe safe cover is now more open and as such deer will use/be there in the dark
food will also steer them else where, as what they ate in Oct odds are is NOT what there eating in mid to late nov and again changes as winter sets in
wind can help hide your scent when on stand, but it also, will be left behind when you leave so deer learn quickly where hunters sit
this is why most folks save there best stands for when everything is close to perfect to not ruin there set up
and why, most hunters won;'t keep hunting the same stand over and over
it just educates the deer doing so!
in area's with prime food and higher deer numbers its NOT as big a deal, but for most places, pressure can be from just hunting a same stand a few days ina row, and will force deer into nocturnal patterns
there not DUMB< they know its always safer at night to wander about
deer are IMO way better at patterning hunters than hunters are at patterning deer LOL
SO, again, I would strongly suggest trying to find a few other places to hunt, , it can be a lot of fun to hunt and see new terrain for a kid, it also gives them a chance to find places they like best to sit and hunt,. to test there skills at finding sign, and finding deer/game on there own, over just being taken HERE or THERE
the more involved you let kids be in something and doing it there way(as long as safe) the more likley IMO< kids will stay with a sport

MAKE them do it your way or they see same things over and over, they get bored
KIDS today seem to have much shorter attention spans that in the past, due to the modern era of almost everything RIGHT now, push a button, there growing up in!
this can be again another reason to get into maybe MORE trail camera's, as they have many with cell plans that are getting better and better and cheaper plans and camera's

I been using many camera's in the 40-50 dollar ranges that come in bundles , with batteries. SD card and camera ALL for under 50 bucks(wildgame innovations and stealth cams' the stealth cams I DON"T recommend in the cheapo's they work, don;t get me wrong but picture quality as to the wildgame ones is a huge difference, even on higher MP versions from my experience, but for the price there fine)

and they have been working flawlessly for several yrs now, 24/7/365, winter cold, summers heat and all in between
and I keep adding more as I see them on sale!
as fact just checked 3 of them today(2500+ pictures in a week)
so, cam's can be great tools to keep a kid interested as well as finding deer!