HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Can we knock it off with the airgun crap?
Old 12-22-2020, 07:50 AM
CalHunter
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MatiasMyles
There are posts in this sub all the time that feature "airgun hunting" in various forms or fashions. My issue with the majority of them is THAT THEY ARE NOT HUNTING RELATED. Someone sitting around a farm shooting finches for fun or popping off at ducks with a ****** air rifle is not hunting, and every youtube video I see of this garbage is the very essence of a ****post. Go farm karma someplace else with that childish bull****.
The OP's post (quoted above) raises 2 separate issues. First; the forum is titled AIRGUN HUNTING but was designed to include "Discuss hunting with airguns, equipment, tactics, and everything else" as shown in the forum description at the top of each page. This makes this forum a 1-forum covers all things airguns. Although most members likely don't hunt with airguns, just about every member has picked up or shot an airgun, likely in their younger years. Many members do like to read the topics and posts from time to time and the same topics and posts serve to attract new members and guest readers from the internet when they search for airgun topics.

The second topic or issue raised by the OP relates to whether airgun hunting is actually hunting if the target or quarry is "shooting finches for fun or popping off at ducks for fun..." The OP's post includes his disdain for many YouTube video clips that he apparently forced himself to watch and be disgusted with. Trashing a method of hunting does run the risk of giving anti-hunters "ammunition" so to speak for opposing hunting with that method(s). It's okay to prefer one method of hunting over another. But that doesn't necessarily mean that method is better, easier or even more sportsmanlike. I hunt primarily with a rifle but have to get much closer to turkeys than deer when I hunt turkeys with a shotgun during turkey season. The same could be said for hunting with airguns, bows, crossbows, BP, pistols, spears, knives, etc. Each of those requires getting much closer to the game to get a shot or attempt at taking the game. Each method is different and can require some additional hunting skills but each method is still hunting.

The OP "sort of" brought up a 3rd topic of farm hunting but I don't believe he was referring to High Fence hunting. He seemed to refer to hunting or shooting nuisance birds at farms. One could argue that shooting coyotes with night vision and silencers at night on cow farms is similar but I've watched and enjoyed those YouTube videos also. These may not be strict versions of hunting as in some kind of spot and stalk hunting but they still have their place and need. I like to hunt as much as the next person but frankly, I gotta admit that I would jump at the chance to shoot some coyotes at night on a cattle ranch with night vision and a silencer if it were legal in CA (score one for Texas). I also have many happy childhood memories of hunting with airguns and have bought 2 PCPs due to IdahoRon's bad influence with all of his cool topics and posts about airgun hunting. I'm planning on buying more airguns so Ron has really got me hooked on this stuff. I'm not sure if I'll ever take a bear with an airgun but I might try sometime. I guess for me the bottom line will always be that hunting is still hunting, regardless of the method or weapon. Each of them is fun, provides its' own challenges and excitement.

Last edited by JW; 12-24-2020 at 09:25 AM.