HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Elk rifles
Thread: Elk rifles
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2020, 06:20 AM
bronko22000
Boone & Crockett

Well I'm not an elk hunter. (as much as I'd like to be) living in PA. I've gone on a few elk hunts as well as a moose hunt. As for me and my friend, when we go after these critters, it is our opinion that you don't need more than an accurate 30-06 with a good quality 180 grain bullet. Now I wouldn't snub my nose at someone using a 300 WM or WSM or a 338 WM but I do believe, and this is my opinion only, that any chambering below 30 cal shouldn't be used for elk. Yes I know, I know there are have been many and elk shot and killed with a .270, 7mm, 257 etc. But these should only be used by hunters who are willing to only take shots at broadside animals at moderate ranges.
As for rifle/stocks I couldn't care less what is used. I have both and more and more I'm leaning toward the black or camo synthetic with stainless steel barrel and action. Why, because I just like how easy they are to maintain. Now don't get me wrong, I'm a sucker for a pretty grained walnut stock with high gloss blued steel too.