HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Do whisker biscuts ice up
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2003, 12:00 AM
AKDoug

Default RE: Do whisker biscuts ice up

I hunted caribou for three days this year. Two of the days were consistant freezing rain and 31*F temps. Everything was iced up...BUT THE WHISKER BISQUIT... My wheels actually made popping noises as I drew when the ice chunks flew off. I had to constantly take my fingers and rub the ice off the strings and cables. My release jaws froze. My arrows were coated in ice. Limbs and riser were coated in ice. The outer diameter of the WB was iced. However, when I shoved my finger through the middle of it there was little to no ice. I admit to coating it with silicone about a week before going on this trip, but that's the only thing I'd done to it.

I practice with this rest in all sorts of foul weather. I shoot no matter the weather...rain, freezing rain, snow and BITTER cold. I shot it the other day at -35F.

I've lived in Alaska for 30 years. I know all about what happens to moving objects in the cold. I break crap every day here because of the cold. The number one things that turn me off of spring loaded prong rests, and drop aways are the moving parts and the little tiny springs that are not protected from moisture inside the rest. I personally have less confidence that one of these rests will perform to my satisfaction when rain freezes inside them.

The answer is simple. If your WB ever does develope ice it will be the same time the rest of your bow does. While removing the ice off the rest of your bow, poke a finger through the WB and hunt on.