HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .32 caliber muzzleloader
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2020, 10:38 AM
Whitetailturkey01
Spike

Originally Posted by Fyrstyk54
Use the #11 caps on the Crockett. I don't have a Crockett, but I do have 4 .32 caliber rifles,(3 percussion and one flint). The .32 is a great small game round and inexpensive to shoot. In the early summer squirrel season I use only 10 grains of 3f for dime sized accuracy out to 25 yards. Can't see the squirrels much beyond that when the leaves are on the trees. The down side to the .32 is that the little balls are sometimes difficult to handle if you are all thumbs like me. I use a loading block to solve that problem. The little balls are also susceptible to wind drift if you try to stretch out your shots much beyond 40 yards. Many complain that the small bore is more susceptible to fouling, and that may be true, but it has always been my practice to swab the bore every 3 shots whether needed or not.
How does the 32 preform on small game. do you think that a 32 could be effective on turkeys. My primary interest is small game(squirrels/rabbits) but was wondering if it could take turkey too if I had the chance. I don't plan on taking shots past 25 yards or so. Ive always liked muzzleloaders better than today's firearms(especially the smoke cloud that comes when you shoot :-) plus roundball ammo is easier to find than modern ammo. Muzzleloaders are prohibited in my county. However there's a bunch of public land within driving distance in counties that allow them.