HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Recommended Pistol for Black Bear
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2020, 07:16 PM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

from my experience when talking BEAR guns, things get pretty heated at times, as some folks seem to think small calibers with RIGHT bullets are fine and then there are those that think the largest calibers are ALL that work
and I also think many times there is a big differences in what one will feel OK with for rare occasion/possible run ins with a bear, as to pure HUNTING of them
I spend a ton of time about black bears, and have for many decades, worked with and spent a lot of time with many very knowledgeable experts as well!
My 2 cents is, this, I would rather have more gun needed than not when having CHANCE encounters with bears , I would rather have a LOT of experience shooting said gun, and be very proficient with it, and that even means with BOTH hands, being able to use it well in!
all the gun in the world does little use if you cannot get to it fast enough or hit what you need to!
NEXT is Bullets, as its NOT just caliber, bullets UP to the task and again you having experience shooting them WELL, is key!
and sadly something many never do!

I am a BIG fan of bear spray too, over guns at times, as it projects a wider area and MOST times, works as well or better IMO!
won't do you any good if your HUNTING bears , but is good for rare encounters
but then again, bear knowledge is also something I wish more folks took to learning before heading into high bear area's
knowledge is power as they say
fear of bears is most time way over rated and something many over react to, bear attacks are RARE in the honest world of facts!

when hunting, be it gun, bow, or?? key is always and will always be placing a proper projectile into a vital with enough energy as needed.
tons of calibers and bullets out there, pick one up to the task and get GOOD with it gets MY vote!