HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What should I hunt? How should I start?
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2020, 09:06 AM
jnicholes
Fork Horn

Welcome, congratulations on getting back into hunting.

If I were you, I would see what is in your area you can hunt. Learn the Regulations, Get the appropriate licensing, then maybe find someone to “train” you on hunting a specific animal.

For example, I was a self taught turkey hunter in North Idaho. I Learned to hunt deer with some help from friends. I actually took my first deer in North Idaho.

Then I moved to South Idaho. I needed to adapt my hunting skills. I met a guy who became my friend and a mentor for waterfowl hunting. He taught me all the ropes, and I am still learning from him. I also learned how to hunt black bear thanks to the advice people here and old friends gave me. I actually took my first black bear last September!

So, from my experience, my advice to you would be to find a mentor who can help you learn to hunt a specific animal. We are all glad to help you get started with advice, though!

I primarily hunt duck and goose, but I also hunt deer and black bear. I have experience with turkey also. If any of these interest you, and you can hunt them where you are, I would be more than happy to give you advice.

Jared