HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First muzzleloader pistol kill - 9 point buck
Old 11-23-2020, 04:56 PM
TN Lone Wolf
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by flyinlowe
Just curious what your max range is with both guns you mentioned. I have an Encore 209x50 (older thumbhole stock with SS barrel version) and I shoot it up to 200 yards on deer. Longest kill I have had (longest actual shot taken) was a doe @ 178 yards.
Back when I had the scope on the Optima, I could shoot 2" groups at 100 yards easily off a steady rest. I calculated that the load I was using was good to about 150 yards, and if I could rest off a hay bale or maybe my Bog Pod, I would have definitely taken it if a big buck was at that distance. With open sights I currently have on it, I've practiced to about 30 yards and could put a bullet in a deer's boiler room within that distance. The long sight radius helps.

Now, the Encore on the other hand, I got it with the intention of shooting to 200 yards possibly further. The accuracy is there and it has the power necessary to do the job, but I think I'd need a bit more practice to be completely comfortable out to 200. 150 would definitely be doable, though. That Powerbelt seemed kind of fragile at that relatively close range, but that bodes well for its ability to still expand effectively at the expected slower impact speeds. If I can't find a saboted bullet that would perform to my satisfaction, I wouldn't mind to keep using that Powerbelt.