HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2020 mount opinions welcomed
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2020, 07:16 PM
zcilahim
Spike

The whitetail was probably my most memorable hunt to date. It was 11 years ago now and it was the first big whitetail I shot and it is still my biggest to date. I believe he scored mid to high 150’s. It was my first hunt where I was one my own (I can’t remember why that was) and I was hunting one of my favorite areas around the farm. The area we hunt is quite hilly with a ton of bluffs and a series of deep ravines. It’s really great mule deer and whitetail country. I walked miles and miles and miles that day through the hills without seeing to much. Come mid afternoon I worked my way to one of the ravines and decided it was time to park my ass on the side of it and try some rattling. It was the first time I tried rattling as we did a lot of pushing bush back then. I hit the horns a few times and waited. Nothing. I hit them again and wait a few more minutes and nothing. I hit them a third time and decide to wait. A few minutes goes bye and I look across the ravine to an opening and I see him standing in about the only place I could get a nice clear shot. He would have been about 150 yds and was standing broadside. I pull my gun up get my breathing under control, put the crosshairs behind his front shoulder, then squeezed the trigger and he just stands there. I was sure it was a good shot but I chamber another round and boom. He barely moves again but walks into the bush line. I head down and find good blood. I tracked him about 25 ft and found him piled up in the bush. I again was so it excited I just shot the biggest deer of my young hunting life. I then realized how the hell am I going to get him out of this ravine. Luckily our cousin was free from the farm for a bit and helped me out with the long drag to the truck! When I got home and skinned him out he had two holes from the .270 about 1/2 an inch from each other which made me feel a lot better.

Last edited by zcilahim; 11-19-2020 at 07:22 PM.