HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need turkey hunting advice
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2020, 06:45 AM
Whitetailturkey01
Spike

Originally Posted by elkman30
Advice works better if we know what your hunting area is like and how you prefer to hunt. Are you on public or private land? Lots of pressure or none? How big is the area? Do you have birds that are always there or are they simply crossing the property you hunt? What kind of terrain are you hunting? Do you have the opportunity to see where the birds roost or not? Are you calling behind decoys or running and gunning? There are a lot of questions that would help tailor any advice given to you.
Where I'm hunting is a mixture of areas. Most of the property is brush and hardwoods/pines. There's a creek that runs through the property with several hills and draws/creek bottoms and swamps. There are agricultural fields(soybeans, corn, cotton, ) on the neighboring property's. As well as some cutover on the other properties. Not much pressure, except.the people on the other properties hunt them in the spring. As far as decoy or run and gun I like to do a mixture of both. They do roost on the property sometimes. But I've noticed they tend to roost in the pines on the neighboring property. However they do travel through our property quite regularly. I usually see them in the open hardwoods looking for acorns or in the pines getting ready to roost Most times when I see them is when I'm deer or squirrel hunting(don't think a 1oz slug is suitable turkey ammo or a 22 lr) The property is about 60-70 acres. The river runs the very back of the property ( the creek and the river are separate water areas)
And it is private land