HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Do I need a license to shoot in my backyard?
Old 11-16-2020, 04:46 PM
mikescooling
Spike

In IL and WI I'm allowed to stop damage from a nuisance pest in the act of damaging my home or garden for some animals. Squirrels, groundhogs, (not the same as ground squirrels or gophers) coons, foxes, skunks, opossums yotes all get sent to Jesus, if I catch them in the act. If I shoot one out of a tree 10 ft away I'm poaching and they can take my gun, truck ect... I shoot gophers all the time and that's an easy one due to them being so damaging, we set up a table with 17hmr's and make those little bastards explode, it's a day activity, due to the issue of what to do with their diseased bodies. We can't just leave them there and can't put them in a trash bag. They can have fleas and more so mange, and that can be a real pickle. I'd put a call into the DNR and ask how to handle it. If your in a city I'd try to trap it and if you need to hit it with a powerful pellet gun, but most city's think of pellet guns as real guns and you could get charged with a crime. Other animals like deer need a nuisance permit and they give me tags, They are super strict about taking deer that are doing crop damage. That's probably more than you wanted to know. I'd shoot it and move on, but don't get caught