HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rifled barreled shotgun vs Muzzleloader?
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2020, 03:46 PM
mikescooling
Spike

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Where you hunting at Mike? Ohio used to be slug or muzzleloader only but now allows some rifles as well.

All things being equal the shotgun is the "better" choice for killing deer because it gives you a quicker second shot if needed. Hopefully you don't need it- but sometimes you do.

And before somebody says "I don't need it, I've never needed a second shot in 78 years of hunting.." that's great, congratulations. AND... Sometimes it's still needed.

​​​​​​I use a muzzleloader during muzzleloader season. Some people like to use a muzzleloader in gun season, and that's just fine too. They like to use it, like the extra challenge, it shoots better than anything else they own etc. Lots of possible reasons.

But if all other things are equal, the 'better' choice would be the shotgun.

-Jake
For the last 20 years I've had a deer camp in WI, but now I'm hunting Northern IL. I can see the shotgun allowing follow up shots being useful, better to tack them down, then to let them jump property lines./fences.