HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rifled barreled shotgun vs Muzzleloader?
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2020, 02:57 PM
flyinlowe
Typical Buck

Not sure what kind of ML you are shooting but I have an older Encore .50 cal and it is a tack driver at 100 yards. From time to time at the range I will go back to 200 yards just to do it. The furthers I have ever shot a deer with it was 178 yards. I grew up with shotguns and switched to the Encore about 15 years ago just because it was so much more accurate and had about double the range. I hear there are some slugs out there now that reach out a lot further then the stuff I was shooting 15 years ago but I haven't messed with it. Indiana phased in rifles so I now only use the Encore during ML season. I would have to go back and check but I killed somewhere between 35-45 deer with it over the time I have hunted with it.
I typically hunt woods edges near open field and rarely hunt deep in the woods. If you are in thick stuff or in an area where you can't shoot over 100 yards I would go shotgun just for the ease of re loading, not cleaning as much etc. If you are in an area where you can have longer shots I would go ML all day, assuming you have a decent ML and a good scope. If you are not comfortable shooting your particular ML over 100 yards I would leave it at home.