HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Public land hog hunt
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2020, 12:25 PM
Whitetailturkey01
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I agree, I have shot about 20 hogs and only one I took a behind the shoulder because it was getting dark and the hog was quartering away from me. I normally shoot behind the ear of the neck. The vitals of a hog are further front behind the shoulder than a deer or elk and if you are not careful you will just wound them. In addition board have a shield over the front shoulder and on a big boar hog I would not even consider a shoulder shot especially with a .243. I understand that Dismal Swamp in VA has hogs.
That's what I've heard to. The problem as mentioned before, is that I don't know anyone over there, so not sure how anyone would feel about a complete stranger knocking on they're door. Plus I've never hunted public land before and don't know if there's any that has hogs. That's why I would prefer to find public land in NC or Northern SC that has hogs. As for firearms I guess it would give me and excuse to buy a new rifle😂😂. What are some good hog rounds. I've heard that 308 is a good round(been wanting one anyway) If I find public land in a shotgun only county what 12 gauge rounds should I use? As mentioned I have 2.75 1 oz rifled slugs and some Federal Power-Shok 2.75 1 oz sabot slugs. I do have a rifled choke and a red dot.