HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2 3/4 inch vs 3 inch buck for deer
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2020, 05:58 AM
Whitetailturkey01
Spike

Originally Posted by Whitetailturkey01
Thanks for all the replies. I'll try to post a picture of the patterns when I pattern them. The 2.75 inch 00 buck is Cheap wal-mart estate brans shells. The 3 inch 00 buck is Remington Magnum Buckshot. As for slugs, I have a few shells, but only enough to sight in. I'm using a 12 ga Remington 870 w/ 28 inch vent rib barrel w/ Modified or Full choke. The only other barrel I have for it is a 21 inch "Turkey" barrel with extra full choke(.687) Both are smoothbore. P.S. would Mod or Full be better with 00 buck ( I know patterning is everything but which would be better for the large pellets)
I cant figure out how to post pictures on here. But heres what I git. The 2.75 inch estate 00 buck patterned HORRIBLE took 2 shots at 30 yards and only got 2 pellets on paper. One was dead center and one was in the bottom left corner. So not this one for deer hunting. The 3 inch remington 00 buck was just as bad. Took 2 shots. The first shot didnt get a single pellet on paper. The second put 3, maybe 4 one might be a double hole in the right side of the target. It had a good pattern but was shooting WAY right. I used to have a saddle mount with a red dot on the gun. Would that change the POI? Also it was pretty windy when I shot. Would the wind affect the big heavy pellets at 30 yards or not? So as of right now the only thing I saw that did pattern good were some remington game loads in 7.5 shot at 20 yards I shot while I was out there. They had a NICE pattern good and uniform. No holes in the pattern at all. Thought about using them for squirrels since they pattern good but may just stick with 6 shot. Anyway those are my results. Looks lime I have to find a different load it like. Might try #1's next for 000 buck. Sorry for the long post but I have one more question. The 000 buck shells i have( just found them the other day) they stick in the chamber when I load them. I have to really muscle them in the chamber. Everything else feeds and rejects fine but they don't. I don't know if it's the chamber or the shells. One or two of them wont even chamber all the way. The ones that do chamber would they be safe to shoot. I'm thinking no because of the pressure but I dont know. I'm scared to shoot them any help would be appreciated with figuring out whats wrong with them. Thanks.